Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Grandpa

Grandpa,
I hope you and grandma are enjoying some of the pictures I have posted. I was really overwhelmed when I first came here, but have allowed myself to slow down and take each day in. I think I finally realized that I will be here for a year and there is no rush. There is no rush for me to become a master at the city or language. (although I braved the subway system all by myself on Sunday and felt like I conquered the world!!)
I spend a fair amount of my time alone here. I have always thought I was better than most of my friends when it came to being on my own, and handling situations alone. I am proving myself correct. With so much alone time comes a lot of remembering and reflecting..... My life has not quite played out how I thought it would. When I was in high school, I was sure that I would be married at 25, and start having children by 27. Sometimes I am very grateful that I am where I am because opportunities like Korea are possible......but on other occasions (more rare) I find myself being sad that I have come this far, but seem to only be a few feet further than when I was in highschool. I know I am young, and have a whole lifetime ahead of me....but like I said, on the rare occasion I find myself wondering how it would be different. I think about how you and grandma have been married for over 65 years I think, and it brings a smile to my face. I think that is just so romantic.
Another big part of being over here in Korea, is the teaching. I never really stopped to consider that I would be a teacher, maybe a mentor, maybe an influence on others. These kids are supposed to learn key parts of their education from me, and I am afraid that I will fail them. I am not creative or as smart as other teachers. Also, like i said before....my patience. If I could ask for advice on anything in my life I would ask how to have better patience. I think that being a master of patience would get me far. You need patience for all aspects of life....family, relationships, friendships, jobs, learning, teaching, helping or even being helped. Grandpa....you raised 4 very different children....I can imagine your patience was tested on more than one occasion over their lifetimes....is there any advice you could give me? I want to have a wonderful and fun and exciting time over here, but now that I have met the kids and started teaching......I realize how important it is to me to do an exceptionally great job over here.



Grandpa, and Grandma.....I would like you to meet my one true love. STARBUCKS =)
It is the only one written in Korean!
These are real life bugs....that they boil......people buy them here!!! Disgusting. I will not be THIS adventurous. This girl is actually buying them!
Aidan and Zack at the "singing room bar" I think they are singing me Jason Mraz.

No comments:

Post a Comment